As I sat and finished the last chapter of The Web of Women's Leadership" today I was struck by what the church could be. I must make a disclaimer that this is not what I see in our church, but what I see in the Church as a whole. Of course every church has things that need to change, but these are changes that need to be made in the Church.
Web leadership allows for many walls to be broken down, and for true community to begin. No longer would there be someone in front dictating to everyone and everyone else blindly follows. The gab between leader and follower would be lessened and lay people would be empowered to use their gifts and talents. Gender would also not be something that holds people back, both women and men would be free to serve, using their gifts to serve the Kingdom of God. With that in mind, the focus of everyday life would be social justice. Making sure that all people are treated equally and involved, promising that no one is discriminated no matter who they are.
Web leadership would also encourage worship to be an interactive experience for people instead of something that people watch. Everyone would join together to minister to others outside of the church, forming covenant small groups of people that do ministry outside of the church. Christian education would take center in the life of the church and the congregation, educating people of all ages.
When it comes to the church as an institution churches would no longer be at odds with one another, competing and pushing for numbers. Instead, churches would come together to serve the community they are a part of.
Reflecting on everything above, I can not help but to hear traces of the church in the book of Acts. My question is this: Is web leadership really a new idea, or is it returning to that which God called us leaders to?As I look around me at the future leaders and reflect back on where the Church has been, I can not help but to feel change in the air. A change in which these authors have described, coming back to a system unlike that of hierarchy.
I will leave you now with this blessing from the authors found at the end of the book:
Like the sea lapping against the shore,
We know our future is coming to meet us.
Let us not be eroded by the floods of injustice,
but built up by time.
Let new life spring forth from the rock.
Let our springs not be silent,
but loudly and vibrantly green.
Amen
Sunday, August 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment