Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Self aware leadership

I would be a liar if I said this was an easy chapter to read. The particular chapter I am referring to is a chapter titled Self-aware leadership, in the book Humble Leadership. It is often hard for anyone to reflect on themselves, taking an honest look at themselves. Through the course of my seminary training this is something that I have had to do several times over and in many different ways. This however does not mean that taking an honest, critical look at myself has gotten any easier. However, I acknowledge that to be a leader this is something I need to constantly do.

One of the important parts of this chapter is the Spiritual Pitfalls Standish acknowledges can occur in leadership. One of these pitfalls is that too often leaders over emphasis the fact that they are on a mission for God. Yes, they are working for God, but the important part to remember is that we are merely just little bits in the big scheme of things. In the same line of thinking is the pitfall of confusing the thought of the leader with the thoughts of God. It is important to always keep in check the fact that the leader is not God.
As I reflect on these thoughts made, it is my prayer that as a leader I will recognize that I am simply doing God’s work and not playing God.

Standish continues to acknowledge pitfalls that leaders will have and strikes on a particularly interesting topic for myself: psychological pitfalls. There are several different personality disorders that exist, many of these disorders can be found in leaders. Because I have studied psychology in the past, I am familiar with the different disorders described in the book. One strong suggestion made in the book is that leaders should be in counseling, often no matter what. Personally, I have been seeing a counselor for the last few years and I can honestly say that it is one of the best things I have ever done for myself. There are many times while being in a leadership role that I have recognized things about myself and I have been able to reflect on these things with my counselor. In the future, no matter what my leadership role, I will continue to see a counselor, not only for myself, but also for my congregation.

“No one is a complete leader.” What this all comes down to is that every leaders has weakness just as every leader has strengths. Being self aware allows a leader to know their own strengths and weaknesses so that they can be the best leader they can be.

No comments: