The first principle in becoming a servant leader according to Jesus on Leadership involves waiting on God. All my life I have been a goal oriented, task driven person. This has often complicated my ability to wait on God. However, what does it really mean to wait?
For me, I believe that in order to wait on God we must surrender. As leaders it is important to continually surrender ourselves and devote ourselves and our work to god. I have noticed in my life as I have surrendered myself, my calling has come more into focus. As things have come more and more into focus, the waiting becomes easier. It really is not as though I am waiting anymore, it is as though I am taking things one day at a time and doing things a bit by bit as God presents them in front of me.
This is important to notice as a leader, if one truly wants to be a servant leader, they must surrender first to God. This is the second principle in the book, learning to be first a follower of Christ before becoming a leader. Overall, this all seems connected- wait, surrender, follow. repeat. But there is no real order, the three are so intertwined that I often find them hard to untangle. Can we really wait on God without first Surrendering? Can we really follow without surrendering? Can we follow without waiting? or vice versa?
This is something I will be thinking on for a while.
Thursday, May 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment